Episode 21: Could "Yes, AND..." Bridge Our Biggest Divides?
So far in our Life in the And journey, we’ve explored the ANDs in our minds and lives. We’ve discussed how we can use the paradoxes that reside within us to transcend uncertainty and doubt. But what if we also use ANDs not just as individuals but as communities, societies, and nations? As time goes by, it becomes more apparent how we live in a world divided by political ideologies, creed, and class. Can AND be powerful enough to bridge opposing beliefs and ideas?
In this episode, I explore how an improv game can help us bridge the contradictions within ourselves and the divides in our society. I explore how the “Yes, And…” game can develop our deep listening skills and foster creativity, connection, and cooperation. I explain why our conversations regarding social issues become heated and illustrate how we tend to blame rather than build. I also discuss what’s possible when we surrender our need to always be right and speak from a place of love and understanding.
“The ‘inclusive, loving world’ piece requires us to explore the ANDs between us.” - Erin Baker
This week on Life in the AND:
- Our increasingly divided world and the need to explore the ANDs between us
- Dante Clemons and the barriers she faces as a black woman
- Bridging political divides with Seth Samuels
- What keeps us healing our deepest divides in the world
- The ‘Yes, And...’ improv game, how it can help us bridge divides and differences, and how to play it
- How playing the ‘Yes, And’ game can help us develop emotional intelligence and creativity
- Why our conversations become heated and triggering
- Building bridges brick by brick and surrendering our need to be 100% right
- Creating Magic Through Fully Being in your ANDs with Matt Chavlovich
- We Are All Walking Contradictions with Hayden Lee
- What Becomes Possible When We Have High Intention and Low Attachment to Our Goals
- Yes, And: How Improvisation Reverses “No, But” Thinking and Improves Creativity and Collaboration - Lessons from the Second City by Kelly Leonard
Embrace Life in the AND
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Life in the AND, the podcast helping you embrace the AND in your life to cultivate more authenticity, creativity, inclusiveness, and love in every area of the world around you. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review.
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn and share your favorite episodes across social media. And for more great content and information, be sure to visit my website and join The Heart Leader Launchpad Facebook group.