Episode 019: The Power of the Wildnerness for Zooming Out AND Zooming In
Sarah Kettles is a high-level UX Research Leader and entrepreneur. She is currently the Senior Director of Research at The Zebra, was previously at AirBnb, and was a founding member of Facebook’s Research Operations. In addition to her career bio, she’s an avid triathlete, backpacker, and founder of OutPass Trekking, a company that provides transformational wilderness experiences for growth-seekers. Sarah is a person who fills gaps with spectacular grace and, through OutPass Trekking, guides people through receiving insights through nature.
Sarah joins me today to discuss nature’s power in enhancing our ability to zoom out, understand the whole world and our place in it, and zoom in, introspect, and push back our fears. She shares some of her most profound experiences exploring the wilderness and explains why the outdoors is one of the best places to cultivate trust in ourselves. She also describes how nature can be leveraged in a coaching experience and highlights how fear can sometimes point us to the things we need to do.
“The wilderness is a special place that we’re all born out of. Being in nature offers an opportunity to expand and focus your awareness.” - Sarah Kettles
This week on Life in the AND:
- How Sarah discovered that she could turn her love of the wilderness, the outdoors, and backpacking into a business
- What makes nature so powerful
- The ability to connect with yourself and with nature
- Cultivating self-trust through our connection with the wilderness
- The epic experience that led Sarah to her passion for backpacking
- What makes being out in the wilderness a transformative experience
- Expanding awareness and narrowing your focus through experiencing nature
- One of Sarah’s most memorable moments on a hiking trail
- The FITFO Philosophy and how fear can sometimes mean go
- Redirecting your focus and working through mental blocks when you feel like you’re ‘so done’
- What Becomes Possible When We Have High Intention and Low Attachment to Our Goals
- Leaders Can Have It All: What’s Possible When You Expand Your Vision AND Narrow Your Focus with Tony Martignetti
- What Would You Do if You *Were* Afraid? How to Be Fearful AND Fearless
Connect with Sarah Kettles:
- OutPass Trekking Website
- OutPass Trekking on Instagram
- OutPass Trekking on Facebook
- Sarah Kettles on LinkedIn
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Embrace Life in the AND
Thanks for tuning into this week’s episode of Life in the AND, the podcast helping you embrace the AND in your life to cultivate more authenticity, creativity, inclusiveness, and love in every area of the world around you. If you enjoyed this episode, please head over to Apple Podcasts to subscribe to the show and leave a review.
Don’t forget to follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn and share your favorite episodes across social media. And for more great content and information, be sure to visit my website and join The Heart Leader Launchpad Facebook group.